Monday, August 24, 2009

Travelogue-Calcutta




I love Calcutta. Even before entering the city, you can feel it. Travelling by train, your can see buildings dating back from the British period when the tax for cemented houses was so high that people preferred to keep the walls unplastered. The entire city smells of the colonial era. It's actually IN THE AIR. I mean, the city hasn't changed at all for God's sake. At least most of it. Still has tiny, narrow alleyways with so many buildings crowding it that I shudder to think what would happen in the event of the slightest tremor. Still has acrid smoke in the air and old, rusting signs that reek of English manipulation and broken down trams that will probably never be fixed. Ever.
It's the city of artists and philosophers and dreamers. Looking back, my first memory of Calcutta was playing with my cousins outside Victoria memorial and looking over the shoulders of hundreds of student artists trying to capture the image of exquisite Colonial architecture.
The last time I visited Calcutta, my cab driver treated us to early morning tea which we drank from teensy mud cups. Taking his time with his chai, he seemed to be in no hurry to get anywhere and gossiped away with us while he nursed his brew. Now, that is what I call leisure.
Though I'm just 19, I had this feeling of nostalgia. It was so weird. And beautiful.
I was just wishing that the city would never lose its flavor,it's culture, when I looked out the cab and noticed the change of scene. The glittering lights. The fancy cars on the road. The fashion conscious people. The brand new shiny malls. It was like any other metro again.
Not that I was complaining, mind you. I had my share of fun eating fries and pink ice cream and shopping, but it's just that the charm of the old city, Calcutta more than Kolkata that continues to make me dream.

P.S. The world's best golguppas are only available in the streets of Cal :)

8 comments:

  1. I like this one better than all the others....
    Nice description.... + Awesome PICs= Great Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about Cal. Bad things more than good ones. :| But still. Golguppas and chai-in-mud-cups and sepia (Bombay being B&W. And it is B&W. Beautiful.). :) It has to be good.

    Visit. I. Shall. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the hell is B&W?? Deng why do u do this all the time?

    And they r not golguppa's Dee, they are puchkas! You should try the ones in front of Chandi Mandir, Cuttack. And i dont even like gupchups(thats what they call it in orissa) that much!

    Awesome pics, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B&W is black-and-white, Suchi :D


    I love Cal. I wish they hadn't changed the name. Try the puchkas at Kalibadi.

    And I say, did you take those pictures? They're..wow, they're something else. You could sell them, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Sharan.. If you think i could have taken them, i'm flattered..but sadly, no..unfortunately i do not possess sophisticated enough machinery for such beautifully detailed pictures

    @Suchi.. I apologise for the fatal error involved in referring to the holy puchkas..i hope the puchka gods will forgive me this one..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Deng.. Why is Bombay black and white?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Landscape. Still life. People. Be it anything. Capture it in B&W and it'll look beautiful. More beautiful and more eye-catching than any color photograph. Bombay is like that. That city is so gorgeous that its like an epitome of that awesomeness delivered by a B&W photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa !! I dinno u 2 were on blogosphere :) . Cal is awesome !! Have been there just once.....was a very long time ago . But the sheer majesty of Victoria Memorial among several things has left an indelible mark on my memory :) . Amazing pics btw !

    Cheerio !

    ReplyDelete